Farm Insurance

Farm insurance can cover a number of items that you might otherwise insure on a personal policy. But because any farming operation is often a business, it belongs on a Farmowners policy.
Farmowners policies can cover:

  • An owner-occupied dwelling on the property
  • A rental dwelling on the property
  • Farm and Commercial Liability for business operations
  • Farm equipment coverage for tools, irrigation equipment and mobile equipment
  • Commercial Auto for the vehicles used to farm and haul farm products and supplies
  • Farm outbuildings
  • Loss of Use
  • Scheduled Personal Property such as jewelry, firearms and antiques

Fruit tree orchards are a common type of farming in our area. There’s no minimum acreage requirement.

If you farm at all, even for pleasure, you qualify to receive a Farmowners quote that could save you money.

Farmowners insurance does not cover loss or damage to the crops themselves. Separate coverage is available for this risk and there are many options to choose from.

Crop Insurance

Types of coverage available include:

Crop-Hail / Named Peril – these policies are not part of the Federal Crop Insurance Program and are provided by private insurers. It is often referred to as Named Peril insurance or Crop Hail. These policies most often cover a specified cause of loss such as hail, or another type of loss prevalent in the local region. This coverage can be purchased at any time during the growing season to protect high-yield crops.

Multi Peril Crop Insurance (MPCI) – is provided through the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC). These policies provide coverage for a number of naturally occurring perils. Most MPCI policies cover loss of production but may also provide yield and price protection. Inability to plant or adverse weather losses can also be covered. The specific type of crop will determine what coverages are available.

MPCI policies have a calendar date by which they must be purchased. Notice of Crop Damage or Loss of Production must also be filed by specific deadline after the loss. These policies are sold via approved insurance providers, whose contracts are monitored closely by the FCIC and the area’s Risk Management Agency (RMA) who set the rates and policy guidelines.

FCIC subsidizes the farmer’s premiums whereas the Crop-Hail / Named Peril policies are non-subsidized.

Special Programs are available for:

  • Limited Resource Farmer
  • Beginning Farmer or Rancher
  • Veteran Farmer or Rancher
  • Socially Disadvantaged Program

Important notes:

Crop insurance is available to all, regardless of race, sex, religion, national origin or other Title IV discriminating classes.

Misrepresentation, fraud, waste or abuse of the crop insurance program will result in penalties, and corrective action.

Crop insurers and agents are required to keep your personal identifying information safe.

Product Recall is a separate type of coverage that must be purchased separately. Please contact our office for details.

Stock Insurance

Fruit already harvested and in a cold storage or temperature controlled facility? In that situation, stock is normally covered by a Stock Throughput policy that covers damage to the fruit while in store, and while in transit.

We have access to the latest stock insurance markets. Contact our office for a quote.